Friday, December 31, 2010

Wishing you a tasty New Year!

We are homebodies on New Year's. It's not worth the hassle of crowds when we can eat and drink merrily at home. Plus December means William's birthday, Christmas, and our anniversary so we are usually pooped by December 31st.

Normally I am very seafood heavy on New Year's Eve but I am taking a different approach this year. I found this recipe weeks ago and have been dying to try it. However, I am not a fan of orange on my food so instead of the paprika sauce I am going to season the meat with smoked paprika and am creating a balsamic reduction in place of the sauce. I've been told goat cheese and balsamic is a perfect marriage. In addition, I am making my annual blue cheese and walnut stuffed mushrooms. Before you say "I don't like blue cheese (or walnuts)" you need to know my husband is not a fan of either but he devours these. They are simple and delicious. And because I'm feeling generous here is the recipe:

1 lb. medium-sized fresh whole mushrooms (about 40)
1 (8-oz.) container soft cream cheese with chives and onions
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
Chopped fresh parsley

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Brush mushrooms or wipe clean with damp cloth. Remove stems from mushrooms; discard stems or reserve for another use.
2. Place mushroom caps, stem side up, in ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. In medium bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except parsley; mix well. Spoon about 1 teaspoon mixture into each mushroom cap.
3. Bake at 350°F. for 15 to 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with parsley.

This recipe is easily halved or even quartered.

So those are the stars of the show but I also found some really pretty shrimp while shopping so I am serving shrimp cocktail (in martini glasses for a fun flair) along with a smoked salmon, cream cheese, and chive puree on endive leaves. These will keep us munching into the long evening. To wet my pallet I chose a prosecco which is tasty so far. ;)

We are planning dine after William goes to bed so we can have a nice relaxing meal. As for William, he has already had his "party" plate of Baby Bel cheese, baby dill pickles, bagel crisps, and a cookie. He also wanted to try sushi so I bought him a California roll but when push comes to shove he seems to be losing interest. Lunch for me tomorrow perhaps? Health is clearly not our focus tonight.

Tomorrow I am embracing a southern tradition and serving black eyed peas. I plan to make a soup of the black eyed peas and ham. I will probably also pull out the bread machine and make some homemade bread on the side as well.

Have a safe, fun, and tasty new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment