Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Happy Anniversary!

Well, folks, it's mine and Matt's anniversary. 8 years and still kickin'. While William was in day care, Matt and I used to take the day off and have a lunch date each year. We chose that option after our second anniversary when William was 22 days old (I honestly don't remember our first anniversary). I was desperate to get out of the house but William couldn't be left with anyone yet as I was still nursing and often. So we chose Applebee's car side to go and I had the honor of picking it up. It got me out of the house for a whole 15 minutes or so. LOL Then we settled in so we could eat and William decided it was time for his vittles too. So our first anniversary post-child was spent with me trying to eat over the head of a nursing baby.

After that, we decided a lunch date was the most practical. Well, this year William is in kindergarten and there is no day care anymore. He's home with me all day and Matt worked today. But something had to be done so I decided to make a special dinner. My choice...rib eye steaks, twice baked potatoes, and corn. We enjoyed this along with a bottle of Clos du Bois that my dad bought me for Christmas.

Let me tell you a little about my twice baked potatoes. I think I found the original recipe for these in Gourmet magazine. Of course, I had to tweak it and, while I'm happy to share how I make this, once again keep in mind I don't measure. So this is close to the original but I use more or less of some of the ingredients (mostly more). To Matt these are the only twice baked potatoes and steak is not the same without them. Without further ado...

Rena's Special Twice Baked Potatoes
2 medium to large potatoes (I prefer red but russet would work too)
4 oz. white mushrooms (crimini are also yummy), brushed clean, stems removed and rough chopped
2 green onions, chopped
3 T. butter, divided
2-3 oz. cream cheese
sour cream
shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste (I prefer kosher salt)
French fried onions, optional

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Bake the potatoes using whatever method you prefer. Personally, I "bake" them in the microwave to save time. While the potatoes are baking, melt 1 T. butter in a small skillet. Add the mushrooms and saute until browned. Salt and pepper as desired. Add the green onions and saute 1 minute or so until you start to smell the onions. Take off the heat.

Place the remaining 2 T. butter in a medium bowl. Cut the potatoes in half length-wise and scoop the pulp into the bowl. Leave about 1/4 inch of a "shell" in each potato peel. Mash the potatoes and butter together until the butter is incorporated. Add the cream cheese and at least a serving spoon sized dollop of sour cream (enough to make the mixture moist and fairly smooth). Stir in the as much cheese as you like and salt and pepper to taste. Then add the mushroom mixture and stir.

Divide the mixture evenly among the potato skins. Bake for 30 minutes. If desired, sprinkle French fried onions over the top for the last 5 minutes of baking.

You will never buy pre-made twice baked potatoes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment