Saturday, May 19, 2012

I went to the store for two things...

We've all been there.  You stop at the grocery store for one or two things and walk out with several bags which never seem to justify the total on the receipt.  Today was one of those days.  Even though I only needed two things I grabbed one of the small carts "just in case".  I don't know if your store has them but they hold just a smidge more than a basket but you can push it (obviously) instead of having to lug a basket around.  Friends, the grocery store is to me what Toys R Us is to a small child.  I become a cracked out food junkie and this time was no exception.  The wheels started turning.

It was around noon and I realized I hadn't gotten anything out of the freezer at home for dinner tonight and it's a sunny day so my brain whispered, almost ghost like, "Grill."  But I'm feeling lazy today and couldn't think of what I wanted to spend my time checking on periodically.  Then it hit me.  Pulled pork.  That takes almost no supervision.  But being a Yankee and lacking the fancy schmancy smokers you see on Food Network, I do mine a tad differently.  I start the pork in the crock pot until it's falling apart then I throw it on the grill for 1-2 hours with some wood chips to give it that awesome smoked flavor.  I haven't had any complaints yet.

So in addition to my two original items, I walked out with a pork roast (pork butt is my favorite for pulled pork), some beans because what's pulled pork without smokey baked beans on the side, BBQ sauce, and oh yeah, I needed charcoal plus various other unrelated items that apparently we can't live without.  By the time I got to the check out, my little cart was puffing like the Little Engine that Could.  Or it was in my mind at least.  Hey, I hear ghost-like voices telling me what to make for dinner so it's reasonable that my cart can make noises too.  The checker asked if I wanted a bigger cart because they don't allow the small ones outside.  This is where I mentally pull the mother card because after lugging around a super-sized toddler for a few years, I can carry more than my scrawny arms would lead you to believe. 

So out to the car I went with my two reusable bags (which hold the same at 3 plastic bags) draped over one arm and my 18 pound bag of charcoal resting on the opposite hip with my arm loving holding it close.  Just like holding a baby.  No, I didn't forget the wood chips.  I keep those on hand at home for these occasions.  My favorite for pork is apple wood.  Hopefully by around 6:00 tonight we will sit down to a yummily smoked pork roast...it's my blog and I can make up words if I want to...baked beans, and possibly some tater salad.  Can't go wrong with tater salad.  And I like to say tater salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment